Who is the real Jesus? 10/17/2021
“To the Uttermost” (Hebrews 7:25; Romans 5:1; 8:33-34)
4 Eternal Truths—God is:
1) …GREAT, so I don’t have to be in control.
What or who am I trying to control? ________________
The only things I can control: _______________________
2) …GLORIOUS, so I don’t have to fear others.
Who do I fear? ____________________________________
Why am I fearing them? ___________________________
Do I have a healthy fear of God? __________________
3) …GOOD, so I don’t have to look elsewhere for my satisfaction.
4) …GRACIOUS, so I don’t have to prove myself.
*All sins come from not believing one of these!
Review: When I sin, Christ is drawn to me! Jesus sides with me against my sin, not against me because of my sin. God hates sin. But He loves me! God disciplines me not out of unfair anger or punishment. It comes from His great love for me. He will do whatever it takes to make me holy, all for His glory.
1. What has Jesus already done for us? __________________
Romans 5:1 (ESV)
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
a. Therefore: Ro 4:23-25 ______________________________
b. The doctrine of justification: God's righteous act of removing the condemnation, guilt, and penalty of sin, by grace, while, at the same time, declaring the unrighteous to be righteous, through faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice. DONE!
c. We have the peace OF God, because we have peace WITH God through Jesus!
2.What is Jesus doing right now? ________________________
Hebrews 7:25 (ESV)
Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
a. Consequently: v. 24: _______________________________
b. We are to-the-uttermost sinners, so we need a to-the-uttermost Savior!
c. “to the uttermost” = God’s forgiving, redeeming, restoring touch reaches down in the darkest crevices of our souls, those places we are most ashamed, most defeated.
d. “always lives to make intercession”—the Divine Son never ceases to bring His atoning life, death and resurrection before His Father in a moment-by-moment way. Jesus turns the Father’s eyes to His own righteousness, away from our sins.
3. Why does Jesus need to intercede for me?
- Nothing is lacking or missing in Christ’s earthly work!
- Intercession applies what the atonement accomplished.
4. Jesus’ interceding reflects His heart! He does not do it because the Father’s heart is lukewarm toward us but because His heart is so full toward us. The Father’s deepest delight is to say yes to the Son’s pleading on our behalf. (Romans 8:33-34)
Respond—I/Together we will obey!
Trust that Jesus is praying for you right now (even your prayer life stinks!). See also Romans 8:26-27.
Read John Bunyan’s “Christ a Complete Savior”
Next: “Perfect Emotions” (John 11:33)
(Chapter 11 in Gentle & Lowly book)
- **do me a favor--if you are using this, please text or email me so I know if I should keep doing it or not, thanks! Pastor Jim