“Persecution Intensifies” Acts 12:1-25 (Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020)
Review: Every Christ-follower has a role in taking the gospel to the nations! I am, or might be, a:
- Sender (Giver)
*take the “Grow to Go” online assessment at www.jeannie-marie.com/quizzes-1
1. James, one of the 12, brother of John, son of Zebedee, was martyred. (Mark 10:35-40)
2. Peter is arrested for the third time and is to be killed too for political gain. (Acts 4:3ff; 5:17ff; Jn 21:18)
3. The church gathered and prayed earnestly for Peter. What drives prayer? Love (1Pe 4:7-8)
DQ: I would characterize my prayer life as:
consistent and earnest
I am teaching others to pray
*What is one step you could take to be more consistent and earnest in your prayer life? _________________________
1. Peter was freed. If you are going to be free, you must obey the Lord’s instructions too.
DQ: God has overcome chains, soldiers, iron gates and prisons in the past, He can free me from ________________.
Talk about what is chaining you down/seems like a prison.
1. God opens doors, but we have to choose to walk through them!
6.Gathering in “House Churches” for discipleship, worship, & prayer was part of their everyday rhythms.
Our 3 Discipleship Environments:
- Missional Community (MC): ~6-15 people, including not-yet-believers; outward focus on reaching the lost & serving a specific group of people; weekly meal.
- DNA Group: 3-5 people of same gender, inward focus, discover through a weekly study, nurture each other’s hearts, act on what the Holy Spirit is calling us to do.
- 1-on-1 Discipling
DQ: Which one of the discipleship environments will I choose to be a part of or lead? _________________
1. My #1 idol is often me. God hates pride. Stealing His glory is dangerous!
DQ: Look up these verses about pride and humility.
(Ja 4:6; Ps 75:4; Jere 9:23-24; Deut 8:2-3; Pr 15:25ff; 18:12)
What can we do to kill our pride? _______________________
v. 24 Despite persecution, the Word of God increased & multiplied! (Isa 55:10-11;Heb 4:12;Ro10:17;2Ti 3:16; 1Pe1:23)
Engage before next Sunday: Acts 13:1-52